Monday, December 27, 2010

Ektar 100

I am not one to praise the mass consumerism that comes with Christmas, but I can not deny that this year I have been spoiled. My father gifted me a Yashica 35 MF. He found it in a second hand store. It still has the original leather case. He cleaned out some corroded batter acid, polished it up, and it's as good as new. My mother gave me a book of the pictures taken of The White Stripes throughout their Canadian tour that took them to every province and territory. First of all, they are my favorite band. Second of all, it's a perfect depiction of the vast beauty of this country. Third of all, it's entirely analogue.

Walking home from work yesterday with my Yashica around my neck, inspired by the photos of the tundra, I took a route I've never explored. I was standing on the edge of a field. Across the field was a road. On the other side of the road was a tiny wooden house accompanied by the skeleton of a large tree. Behind the house was an open snowy field stretching up into the tree line of a small mountain. The clouds opened up and the house was hit with very bright, low angle sunlight. The kind you only get this time of year. It was the perfect photo op, except for one thing: I was standing on the wrong side of the field. I only had a few seconds before the clouds would swallow up the sun. I had to take action. I sprinted into the field, kicking up snow and mud, ruining my chucks as I ripped out weeds with my ankles. Memo to me: take it easy on the Christmas baking next year. Gasping and wheezing, I reached the road with enough time to snap a couple photos, then the clouds swooped in and everything was grey.
Put that in your iPhone hipstamatic and smoke it.

No comments:

Post a Comment