Monday, December 6, 2010

S'been a while

Before I start this entry, I'd like to inform you of a thought I just had.
While taking a bite out of an Arrowroot biscuit I immediately thought, "These biscuits taste like babies."

Now onto the blog!

I'm sure that all three of my followers have been spiraling downward into a deep pit of depression at my lack of updates. The reason for this: Theatre.
I've been assistant stage managing a production of Peter Pan. I got thrown into that position a week before the show opened, and have had no time to do much of anything since.

Some fond memories of the show:
-Sweeping up fairy dust into the wee hours of the morning.
-Running over my foot with a pirate ship.
-Comparing my purple toe nails with the rest of the crew who also ran their feet over with the pirate ship.
-Going home crying on multiple occasions.
-Sweeping up fairy dust.
-Having the main curtain dropped on my head during a blackout while trying to strike Nana's dog house.
-Ripping the roof off Nana's dog house and throwing it across the stage while trying to avoid the main curtain in a blackout.
-Being informed that the 80 year old playing Smee was in the hospital 45 minutes before the show started.
-Being informed 15 minutes after the show started that the celiac crocodile had ingested gluten.
-Shoving a member of the fly team into the crocodile suit and pushing him on stage.
-The director telling Peter Pan that she should throw more fairy dust.
-Sweeping up more fairy dust.
-The Lost Boys asking me if they could "recycle" the swept up fairy dust and use it for their own entrances.
-Telling the Lost Boys that the last thing we needed was more glitter and that they're only to do as the director told them.
-The Lost Boys throwing fairy dust during their bows.
-Breaking their spirit and making them sweep.
-Burning my hand on a fog machine.
-Getting slivers from the rough set pieces.
-Surpassing my known strength and shoving set pieces at full speed.

I've endured too much insanity not to get accepted into theatre school.

I have two more things I'd like to share.
On Tuesday I was partaking in some excellent live music. Really, I wanted to jump up and dance, but I instead chose to tap my foot as no one else seemed as enthusiastic. While wondering if everyone else was having their minds blown I noticed the floor shaking in unison to the foot tapping of the audience.

On Saturday I had a particularly stressful show. Afterwards I went to a cafe to wait for some friends. The barista noticed at once that I wasn't feelin' too snappy and gave me my americano and a muffin for free. I wanted to hug her. Working back stage, you sometimes get forgotten in the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment